Anti-Racism Data Act
The act focuses on four key areas:
Keeping Your Data Safe
Under the Anti-Racism Data Act, we’ll make sure that any data that is collected is stored safely. All the privacy and security protections under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act will apply to information collected or used under this legislation.
To begin identifying systemic racism using data, government will use British Columbia’s Data Innovation Program and the internationally recognized privacy and security model called the Five Safes model to protect the data.
The Five Safes model reduces the risk of data being accessed or used inappropriately by:
- Removing personally identifiable information from data
- Using secure technology to integrate data safely
- Only authorizing projects that have a clear public benefit and pose no harm to individuals or communities
- Only providing access to authorized individuals
- Ensuring additional protection of privacy in research outputs
Meet the Anti-Racism Data Committee
On September 23, 2022, the Province announced the 11 members, including the chair, of the Anti-Racism Data Committee.